Biking to Work

I really like my new job. Very different from slinging code all day and working under the pressure of a big deadline. I’m sure it will have it’s trying moments, but they haven’t shown up yet.

So Saturday I drove home for lunch which I’d done everyday thus far, and Jenny says she has a present for me. Since we’re supposed to be saving money I was a little perplexed as to why she would be buying me random presents, but it soon all became clear to me.

She found a used 6-speed bicycle at a yard sale down the street from us. 25$ for my new transportation to and from work. It will pay for itself within a few months if not sooner. I love it. We got a lock and some front and rear lights so that I can ride home safely in the evening, but overall I don’t really need to do much to it. It rides pretty well and because it doesn’t look like much it will probably keep the theives at bay.

Today was my first day riding to work and of course it decided to rain on me during the ride back home. I still loved it. This was one of my goals for moving to Tucson. Having/using only one car and therefore biking/walking to work and school. Both of those things are definitely possible from where we live.

Things are going pretty darn well.

Originally published on Monday November 10, 2003 at 9:41 pm

So what is the new job?

Woody said this 13 years, 10 months ago §

Congrats! And keep on "truckin"! I'm so glad that Jenny had her eye out,....but, of course...I knew she did from my time out there. Be careful out there! But keep on goin!....I love the fact that you're experiencing something different....something new...may everything you experience lead to something new, novel, and much to learn from!....

Leah said this 13 years, 10 months ago §

I work on the sales floor at a local Tucson outfitter called Summit Hut. It's kind of like Benchmark from back in Cincinnati.

Aaron said this 13 years, 10 months ago §

Commuting by bike is the best... I was riding my bike to work on and off all last summer. Now that the colder weather is setting in, I'm feeling less inclined... we also don't have access to the secure lockup in the winter.

Believe it or not, I do see winter bike commuters here in Chicago! Now that's dedication!

David Hertzig said this 13 years, 10 months ago §

How far do you ride every day? I'd ride to work every day if I didn't need my vehicle for my job. Enjoy!

Jim said this 13 years, 10 months ago §

i'd absolutely love to ride a bike to work, but that would require a) a bike, b) warmer weather, and c) a less lazy person than myself. heh.

you started thinking about south by southwest yet? :)

p auL said this 13 years, 10 months ago §

Credit where credit's due, dude! I found the bike and called Ms. Jen (would'a just bought it and stuck it in Debbie's garage, but didn't even have $25 on me)

Mark (Mr X) said this 13 years, 9 months ago §

Mr X is definitely right. He spotted the bike and in general has given us (Ms. Jen and myself) a ton of useful info on the Tucson biking scene.

Thanks Mark!~