The Best Shape of My Life (coming soon)

Jenny has taken an assitant track-n-field coaching position at Catalina Foothills HS and has been showing me some of the plyometric drills they do. It’s brought back memories of a time when I was in the best shape of my life. That was the summer after my senior year. I was heading to UC to continue my track-n-field career. Unfortunately, I didn’t make it to the first track meet before I became obsessed with computers and stopped going to track practice.

I tell myself that I knew I would never be a world class athlete and that while continuing with track-n-field would have been a great experience, it would never pay the bills (I forgot about the coaching option). Instead, I focused on learning as much as I could about computers and the internet. I dropped out of college, worked at a dot-com startup, a marketing company, and got married. Most of that time I tried to remain physically active by running, hiking, and rock climbing, but I wouldn’t call any of it actual “training”. And therein lies the problem. I’m motivated to “train” when I have something to “train” for.

I need a carrot in front of me.

I haven’t found the carrot I’m looking for yet, but I (we) have started a work out program. I’m currently researching the sport of “Adventure Racing”, but I would need to find a team to join, or try to recruit some other insane people to join me. Another option is a Triathlon since it’s more of an individual sport.

For the past two days Jenny and I have been getting up at 4:45am and spending the 5 o’clock hour putting our bodies through a mini-hell. I was partly inspired by John Stone, a network admistrator that has gone through a pretty radical body change over the past year. He’s got an amazing will, a great attitude, as well as some really great information on weight training and nutrition.

Like I said, I’m still looking for the carrot, but hopefully I’ll be able to continue these morning workouts until I find a good motivator. Jenny does it for the love of it, which I think is crazy, but I’m grateful to have her as a workout partner.

I’ll keep everyone posted. And maybe, just maybe, I’ll post some before and after photos — but not daily like John does.

Originally published on Tuesday February 3, 2004 at 1:41 pm

What about some "age" appropriate track meets this summer?, or volunteering at some high schools (Jenny's?) in field events, as a coach, judge, referee? You're not too old YET to get those six-packs back yet!....Whatever, good luck in all your endeavours!

Leah said this 13 years, 7 months ago §

John Stone's site is very inspiring, and very helpful. I hope everyone tries it out!

Leah said this 13 years, 7 months ago §

AJ,

I remember when I was in the "Best Shape of My Life" I was 22 years old and in the Air Force. I remember going out for a jog one morning because I was bored. I met another Air Force guy out running and we joined up. Our friendly runs turned into friendly competition. before you knew it we had joined the Base "track team" and I actually ran the mile in a little less than 4:50. I got to go to Oxford University for 3000 and 5000 meter races and placed 4th and 3rd respectively against other USAF members. Well that was 24 years ago, I can't run the mile as fast, but I can run FARTHER now. I remember telling you about My first attempt at a Half marathon 3 years ago and on a whim (with no training) you joined me and we ran it together in a little over 2 hours. I ran the same race again last year on my own and will again in a few weeks. I'm in the 4th week of my marathon training program ( the long weekend runs start in about a week) and will attempt my First full marathon in 84 days at the PIG. Keep up your training....John

John said this 13 years, 7 months ago §

John,

That's awesome! Good luck with your training. I hope you stay injury free and achieve your goals. Very inspiring!

You wouldn't want to compete in one of those adventure races? Would you?

A.J.

Aaron said this 13 years, 7 months ago §

AJ, I would love too however, Who has the time....I'm doing good to keep up my training as it is but Helen is being supportive and letting me get in the miles...

John said this 13 years, 7 months ago §