1330 bad calories for lunch

I like Chicken Nuggets. No doubt about it.

I think of myself as a nugget connoisseur. If a restaurant has nuggets on the menu, I’ve probably tried them. And it might be the only menu item I’ll eat.

I know they’re not necessarily good for me, but it has become who I am.

A staple of my diet for the past 5+ years has been Wendy’s nuggets. They’re always close by and at 99 cents for a 5-piece you can’t beat the price. It’s not just the nuggets that get me in the door. I also like Wendy’s french fries.

Recently, I picked up a nutritional guide while on a Wendy’s lunch break and found out just how bad my standard lunch meal is.

(3) 5-piece nuggets (down from 4 servings)
Great Biggie French Fries
Medium 20oz. Dr. Pepper
=========
1330 calories
65g fat
151g carbs
36g protein

I knew it was pretty bad, but yikes! If I’m serious about getting into the best shape of my life, I think I’m going to have to hold back on the Wendy’s lunches.

Originally published on Wednesday March 24, 2004 at 8:09 am

Ruthie's Chicken Nuggets
Recipe courtesy of Gourmet Magazine

Ingredients
1/2 stick unsalted butter
2 garlic cloves minced
1 cup fine fresh bread crumbs
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 whole boneless skinless breast cut into 1-inch cubes

Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

In a small saucepan melt butter with the garlic and let the mixture cool. In a shallow bowl or pie plate toss the crumbs with the Parmesan. Dip the chicken cubes first in the butter and then in the bread crumb mixture, making sure that each cube is coated well with crumbs. Arrange the chicken in one layer on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the chicken is just cooked through. Transfer to paper towels to drain.

Copyright 2002 Television food network G.P., All Rights Reserved

Leah said this 13 years, 8 months ago §

P.S. Learn how to spell restaurant....it's one of my pet peeves!

Leah said this 13 years, 8 months ago §

P.P.S. You would think that being located closer to California that you would enjoy better quality produce - fruits and vegetables - than we do here in the Midwest. You should definately take advantage of that. However, when I was there in October, I didn't notice any discernable difference between what we get and what you get. Such a shame! Although the best advise I can give you is, LEARN TO COOK!

Leah said this 13 years, 8 months ago §

obviously, spelling definitely correctly isn't one of your pet peeves ;)

bobby said this 13 years, 8 months ago §

hahaha... thanks bobby! I think my mom was once impressed by your spelling on this weblog.

Aaron said this 13 years, 8 months ago §

Mea culpa!

Leah said this 13 years, 8 months ago §

quote...."the best advise..."

Sorry, but it's "advice"

Toni
-Second only to Donald Falvo in the 4th grade spelling bee, 1964

Toni said this 13 years, 8 months ago §

Sorry, mea culpa, again! Isn't that why there are editors?! Give me some credit for discernable!

Leah said this 13 years, 8 months ago §

actually, it's discernible...but the dictionary shows that discernable is an acceptable variation...

Toni

Toni said this 13 years, 8 months ago §

do I get any credit for "connoisseur"...

and can't we get this back to the topic at hand... my awful eating habits. :)

Aaron said this 13 years, 8 months ago §

Eat more fruits & vegetables. That's all I have to say.

Grandma said this 13 years, 8 months ago §