Competing Again

competing again

It’s been over 9 years since my last time competing at a Track & Field meet but I felt right at home this weekend I competed in the PV, LJ, and SP at the USATF state championships. I cleared 12 feet in the pole vault. Jumped 18’ 10-3/4” in the long, and tossed the shot put a very un-impressive 35’ (full results).

Jenny and I left for the meet after going to this year’s Tye Dye party at Steve and Deb’s. Here are a few photos from the day. All in all, I had an excellent time. I hope to ride out the last few meets of this season and then make some big improvements for next season. I’m hoping to complete a decathlon or two next year.

Originally published on Monday May 24, 2004 at 4:28 pm

So you got 2nd in each event you entered in Masters Men's?! I know your performances were disappointing: but, did you have fun!? It seems like it was a fun day, not least of all because it was the annual Boberg Tie-Dye Day! I don't know how you and Jen do it! You two are constantly are on the go!....and it looks like a good time was had by all!

Leah said this 13 years, 4 months ago §

hmm, i don't get it... how'd you get into the meet in the first place. i might be talked into running again if i knew of meets to enter in.

p auL said this 13 years, 4 months ago §

Congrats on getting back into it. I am sure it was great to participate in an organized competition.

Todd said this 13 years, 4 months ago §

I see the problem. Are those your legs or are you riding a chicken ?

Chris

Chris said this 13 years, 4 months ago §

Chris: I agree with you that AJ needs to learn to eat right, and bulk up, but common? Chicken Legs?! Dale has those~!

p aul: I'm sure AJ will tell you the same. First, go to USAT&F.com and get a membership. You wanted to support them in this Olympic year anyway, right? In addition to the fact that almost every state has some kind of "age-appropriate" State Games, including Track & Field...there are a myriad of age specific Track & Field meets. I know that UC holds one, or several every summer....call your local colleges and university track coach's for info. Have fun out there!

Leah said this 13 years, 4 months ago §

p aul: My Mom's right. Plus you've got Indianapolis as the US headquarters for http://usatf.org/ - US Track & Field governing body.

Check out the event schedules on the site and I'm sure you'll find something. A lot of local highschools in major cities put on a "All-Comers" meet once or even twice a week during the summer. Tucson has one at Catalina High School, or so I've been told.

The USATF don't do nearly enough to promote Master and Sub-Masters level competitions to the general public. Oh well, it means I can get higher placement in the few meets that I'll run in. :)

Aaron said this 13 years, 4 months ago §

Chris:
My legs are starting to tone up and gain some bulk in the quads and hamstrings, but in general I agree: they're chicken legs.

I heard that you're pretty buff now (or have been for a while). My brother was talking about your pythons~! :)

Aaron said this 13 years, 4 months ago §

Aaron, your legs are fine, that was just my feeble attempt to interject some humor. I wish I could get back into track and field. The springs that once resided in my legs have been replaced with cinder blocks attached to my feet!! Good luck and keep up the good work.

Chris

Chris said this 13 years, 4 months ago §

Chris, will you take your cinder blocks (by the way, they're "concrete" blocks)back. They seem to have been teleported to my legs at about mile 20 of the Flying Pig....

John

John said this 13 years, 4 months ago §

Chris: Forget John's comment. The fact is that in your youth you had lots of Plyometic? speed. With your enhanced, enviable upper body now, you should take up the Shot and/or Discus!

Leah said this 13 years, 4 months ago §