Unbold & Unsubscribe

I spent a few moments — okay more like 2 hours — unbolding and unsubscribing several feeds in my bloglines account this weekend. It’s not that I haven’t been reading feeds lately, I just felt bad that so many of them had reached the *magic (200) unread posts.

Most of the feeds that I completely unsubscribed from are the most popular blogline feeds. Slashdot (30,170 subscribed), Wired News (24,690), BoingBoing (18,921), Gizmodo (15,057) and a few others. I’ll undoubtably still visit these sites on occasion, but I won’t try to keep up with their feeds. It’s just too much.

Then because I’m a glutton for punishment I decided I needed to get a few more c#, .NET, OOP, developer blogs into the mix. I subscribed to these 9 blogs. I’m assuming these are the right ones to be reading based on the post and association. I’d only heard of Martin Fowler and Roy Osherove before finding this post. We’ll see how it goes.

* 200 is when bloglines stops counting

Originally published on Monday April 11, 2005 at 2:33 am

I'd like to add to your list, not a permanent blog, but rather a site you will enjoy.
James Bach, Testing, http://www.satisfice.com/

James' thoughts on testing and methodology are stimulating and positive. His page of people he recommends exemplifies how to write compliments. This will lead you to Gerald Weinberg, whose work I still want to make time for.

Charles L Flatt said this 12 years, 3 months ago §

I recently went through and did that with my feeds. It wasn't so much that there were too many posts, but just that I figured the world wasn't going to end if one less person read BoingBoing that day.

I've noticed my list of feeds (which currently stands at 220, unfortunately) trending inexorably toward the underdogs. The trick is finding just the right blend so that you catch a link to anything important that might come up, without having to see it a dozen times in different feeds.

James Archer said this 12 years, 3 months ago §

Charles -- I subscribed to James Back and cracked up at the last post that he made:

"Here is one test to tell if a sentence is potentially ambiguous:

It has words in it."

You didn't tell me he was a comedian.

------------

James -- I agree whole heartedly about finding the right blend. The next bit of bloglines pruning I do will focus on dropping the big repeaters which unfortunately might include myself (doh).

Thanks for stopping by.

Aaron said this 12 years, 3 months ago §

Aaron, it is a good thing to prune! You only have a certain amount of time to read and learn, and having too much to look at can be stressful because you feel like you are always behind the curve.

My current feed is 121, and I think my ideal would be about 100 - 150. I am still trying to find those several good blogs or sites that give me just enough to start my own learning and research. I also think it's good to have some sites that you don't subscribe to but visit every so often to get a feel for what is going on. Good examples like you mentioned are Boing Boing, Slashdot, Wired News, and even maybe Netdiver for design tidbits.

That fact that you unsubscribed and unbolded is a good step towards a healthier you, though, so I think it is a great decision.

Lance said this 12 years, 3 months ago §

I'm in the same boat. I totally need to do some Bloglines clean-up, maintenance and catch-up.

*sigh* Never enough time! :(